Establishment as a modern State


1st May 1960


Capital: Mumbai


Second Capital: Nagpur


Area: 3.07 Lacs Sq. Km


Sea Shore: 720 km.


Population: 11.23 Crores


Literacy: 82.3%


Airports: International: 4


Domestic: 7


Ports: 53


 


Hon’ble Chief Minister


Mr. DevendraFadanvis


Hon’ble Industry Minister


Mr. Subhash Desai


Hon’ble Secretary of Industries


Mr. Apurva Chandra, IAS.


State GDP


264.8 bln (12.98% of India GDP 11% CAGR increase)


FDI


$76.4 bln 

highest among all states


Export

 


$ 73.9 bln

Borders with Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Goa and the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli. 

 

Most industrialised state in India and has maintained the leading position.

 

Demographic Overview Source (#Mofpi)

Maharashtra is the third largest state of India in terms of geographical area and second largest in terms of population. It has 35 districts divided into six divisions. Maharashtra is a highly urbanized state with 45.2 percent of the population residing in urban areas. The table below gives key demographic indicators and their comparison with pan-India numbers-

 

Indicators

Year

Unit

Maharashtra

India

1

Geographical Area

2011

Lakh Sq. Km

3.08

32.87

2

Population

2011

Crore

11.23

121.02

3

Decadal Growth Rate

2011

Percentage

16.00

17.64

4

Density of Population

2011

Population/Sq. Km.

365

382

5

Sex Ratio

2011

Females/1000 Males

925

940

6

Literacy Rate (LR)

2011

Percentage

82.9

74.04

7

Birth Rate

2011

Per 1000 Mid-year Pop.

16.7

21.80

8

Death Rate

2011

Per 1000 Mid-year Pop.

6.3

7.10

Economic Overview

The Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) at current prices for 2012-13 is estimated at Rs. 13, 72,644 crore. Industrial and services sectors together contribute to about 87 percent of the income of the state, whereas, agriculture and allied activities contribute the remaining 13 percent. Agriculture sector, however, accounts for about 55 percent of the total employment in the state.

Key economic indicators are given in the table below-

Particular

Unit

2010-11

2011-12

2012-13

Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP)

Rs. Crore

 

   

Constant (2004-05) Prices

 

735212

787426

843565

Current Prices

 

1035085

1199548

1372644

Economic Growth Rate as per GSDP

%

     

Constant Prices

 

10.24

7.10

7.13

Per Capita Income

Rs.

     

Current Prices

 

83395

95339

107670


Business Climate

       Infrastructure:

           11% of National Road network with Total length 246,000 km.

            9% of National railway network of 5,987 km.

           34% of India‘s international passengers and cargo handled by state airports

           56 % of container traffic handled by JNPT in Maharashtra

          Four international airports and Domestic airports in major Cities

Industry

Most industrialised State.  217 industrial complexes, with 125,000 acres (50,000 hectares) of land. 

Contributes 20 % of National Gross Domestic Product (GDP)

Contributes 27 % of India's exports. 

Services Sector

Services contribute 62% to the state‘s economy
20% of country‘s software exports
32% of country‘s IT professionals
90 % of all merchant banking activities take place in Mumbai
Santacruz Electronics Export Processing Zone(SEEPZ) accounts for 56% of SEZ exports
Largest number of 100 % Export-Oriented units (EOUs)

 

KNOW the Facts (Source #IBEF)

Maharashtra accounts for approximately 35.1 per cent of the country's automobile output by value. Pune is the largest auto hub of India, with over 4,000 manufacturing units just in the Pimpri-Chinchwad region. The state also has the largest base of local original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

The state has a well-developed social, physical and industrial infrastructure. Apart from four international and seven domestic airports, the state has two major and 53 minor ports. It also has a well-developed power supply grid. Maharashtra's infrastructure sector has grown significantly over the last decade, with a substantial rise in the number of industrial clusters and public-private partnership (PPP) projects.

Recent Developments

  • Global beverage company Pepsi plans to invest Rs 500 crore (US$ 72.84 million) to set up another unit in Maharashtra to make mango, pomegranate and orange-based citrus juices, while biotechnology giant Monsanto plans to set up a seed plant in Buldhana district of Maharashtra.
  • Maharashtra is the most internet friendly state in India, based on an Internet Readiness index that is a composite of factors such as e-infrastructure, e-participation, information technology (IT) services and e-governance services in the state, as per a report by industry body Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indicus Analytics.
  • Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon’s cloud service arm, has set up five data centres in various locations in Mumbai to cater to the fast growing e-commerce and cloud computing space in India, similar to the steps taken by companies such as Flipkart, Microsoft and IBM to locate their data centres in India and build their businesses around them.

(# IBEF)

 

  • Demographic Overview

    Maharashtra is the third largest state of India in terms of geographical area and second largest in terms of population. It has 35 districts divided into six divisions. Maharashtra is a highly urbanized state with 45.2 percent of the population residing in urban areas. The table below gives key demographic indicators and their comparison with pan-India numbers-

    #

    Indicators

    Year

    Unit

    Maharashtra

    India

    1

    Geographical Area

    2011

    Lakh Sq. Km

    3.08

    32.87

    2

    Population

    2011

    Crore

    11.23

    121.02

    3

    Decadal Growth Rate

    2011

    Percentage

    16.00

    17.64

    4

    Density of Population

    2011

    Population/Sq. Km.

    365

    382

    5

    Sex Ratio

    2011

    Females/1000 Males

    925

    940

    6

    Literacy Rate (LR)

    2011

    Percentage

    82.9

    74.04

    7

    Birth Rate

    2011

    Per 1000 Mid-year Pop.

    16.7

    21.80

    8

    Death Rate

    2011

    Per 1000 Mid-year Pop.

    6.3

    7.10

    Economic Overview

    The Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) at current prices for 2012-13 is estimated at Rs. 13, 72,644 crore. Industrial and services sectors together contribute to about 87 percent of the income of the state, whereas, agriculture and allied activities contribute the remaining 13 percent. Agriculture sector, however, accounts for about 55 percent of the total employment in the state.

    Key economic indicators are given in the table below-

    Particular

    Unit

    2010-11

    2011-12

    2012-13

    Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP)

    Rs. Crore

     

       

    Constant (2004-05) Prices

     

    735212

    787426

    843565

    Current Prices

     

    1035085

    1199548

    1372644

    Economic Growth Rate as per GSDP

    Percent

         

    Constant Prices

     

    10.24

    7.10

    7.13

    Per Capita Income

    Rs.

         

    Current Prices

     

    83395

    95339

    107670